Get the most of your online learning time by making sure your technology meets the requirements needed for a seamless Online Classroom experience.
Users: This article is for all users
Skip ahead to section you need:
- Device and Operating System Requirements
Device and Operating System Requirements
Any device that can browse the modern web can access and use Pearl’s administrative and scheduling tools.
If using the online classroom component of Pearl, the best user experience is with:
- A laptop or desktop computer (including Chromebook)
- Devices within ~4 years old
- The latest Chrome, Firefox, or Edge web browsers
- Broadband Internet with at least 7 Mbps
- Headset with microphone
- Webcam with 720p resolution
Our online classroom dynamically adapts to the performance of the device. For example, if the WiFi signal is low or the Internet connection slows down, the quality of the webcam video will lower to help minimize demand on the network. Devices that partially meet the above requirements may be limited in functionality. For example, Apple tablets cannot share their own screen (but they can receive screen sharing).
Click image to enlarge
Note: Older devices may have an impact on the experience as some do not have the necessary hardware or run on outdated software.
Caution: At this time, we do NOT recommend iPads or mobile devices to access the online classroom. The experience is inconsistent across various mobile devices and the small screen is not optimal with respect to the interactive whiteboards. Please note that iPads do not support screensharing via Pearl Classroom.
Laptops & DesktopsOperating System
The best user experience is with a laptop (including Chromebook) or desktop. All modern operating systems within the last 5 years are supported. Other operating systems may work, provided they are able to browse the modern web. We recommend:
- Windows 10, 11 and higher
- MacOS 10.12 Sierra and higher
- Chrome OS
Because the Pearl online classroom can adapt to lower-performing hardware, there isn’t a definitive minimum system requirement, but meeting the following would result in an excellent experience:
- RAM: 4 GB
- CPU: 2 GHz, dual-core (Intel i3, i5, i7; AMD Ryzan 1600, 2600, 3600)
- Webcam: 720p (enables clear photos of teaching materials and homework)
- Audio: Headset with boom microphone (eliminates potential for echo and helps reduce background noise)
TabletsApple iPad tablets have limited support. Android tablets are incompatible with the Pearl online classroom. Instructors should teach on a laptop/desktop, but students may have acceptable experiences on an iPad.
- Apple iPad: Limited
- Screen share FROM the iPad is not supported (sharing TO the iPad works)
- Chrome versions below 14.3 do not support video sharing
- Android (any manufacturer): Not Supported
Neither Android or Apple mobile phones are supported. The small screen is a significant hindrance to teaching and learning, and results in a poor experience.
Web browsers are constantly being upgraded. In general, the latest releases of mainstream browsers consistently work well with Pearl. Older browsers may have some limited functionality or performance.
Web Browser Support
Up-to-date browser support:
Safari: Good (screen sharing in classroom may not work)
Internet Explorer (IE): Not Supported
Older version browsers support:
- Chrome: Good
- Firefox: Good
- Edge: Not Supported
- Safari: Good (screen sharing in built-in 1-on-1 classroom may not work)
- Internet Explorer (IE): Not Supported
Common Pearl Online Classroom Issues
Top Tips for Technical Success:
Update Your Device's Operating System! We recommend updating your operating system regularly. If you are not sure what operating system you use, find out at What Operating System Do I Have?
- Switch to Chrome and keep it up-to-date. Chrome is our top supported browser. Not sure what browser you're using? Find out at What Is My Browser?
If you need help upgrading your browser, we’ve put together a list of instructions from each browser provider:
Note for Internet Explorer Users: Microsoft is discontinuing support for Internet Explorer and has released Edge as its replacement. Install it here or please use one of our support browsers above.
Need more information? Check out related articles below: